Combating land degradation is one of global society’s major environmental challenges and directly affects the lives and futures of millions around the world. In response, Future Terrains operates as a social enterprise with a mission to tackle the challenge of degraded lands by enhancing environmental and social performance and promoting landscape restoration.
Our approach is encapsulated in two overarching themes:
- Reducing the generation of new degraded lands by improving the environmental and social performance of existing activities and operations.
- Restoring degraded places to rebuild ecological integrity and enhance the lives and livelihoods of the people connected with them.
We do this by:
- offering not only technical advice, assessment and review, but also engaging, training, teaching and research;
- focussing on opportunity where environment, society and economic activities meet;
- employing creative thinking to derive bespoke solutions
- learning from practical experiences and applying this knowledge to our work; and
- exploiting this knowledge for our capacity-building and awareness-raising activities.
- offer services by rote, or
- take on work that we are not equipped to deal with.
Future Terrains proudly works according to the following values.
People are at the centre of environmental issues and excluding them from the solutions is, well, not really a solution! Inclusion accelerates creativity from unexpected quarters and encourages long-term buy-in.
Positive change arises because motivated people care enough to provide the time to drive it – often/ usually for reasons beyond the pay packet and often from the most unexpected quarters.
In spite of our imperfections, we try our best to walk the talk and make a difference while making a living.
Having experienced large-scale transformational work in too many places to mention, we believe that change brings opportunity (as well as risk) and that positive environmental and social change is achievable on a large scale.
Send us a message...
+44 (0)7450 297 124